Urgent Care Journal Article

The journal article I chose is titled “Management of Ludwig’s Angina with Small Neck Incisions: 18 Years of Experience,” and was published by the journal of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery in 2004. I chose this article because it discussed Ludwig’s Angina, which was suspected in one of the patients I saw in urgent care and wrote my H&P on. This study discussed many of the demographics that were commonly seen and associated with Ludwig’s Angina. This gave insight into some of the risk factors for this condition and what techniques are used for treatment. This article also included many interesting pictures including XR imaging and surgical techniques. The study was based in Mexico City and included 121 patients diagnosed with Ludwig’s Angina. The objective was to discuss the use of small incisions for the treatment of this condition, which they found was an effective approach; however, they also touched on other aspects of their participants. Of this group, 107 participants had an odontogenic cause of primary infection. Ninety one patients belonged to low socioeconomic level, and 46 or 38% had diabetes. These patients were most commonly treated with penicillin and clindamycin. I enjoyed reading this article and learning more about Ludwig’s Angina, some of the causes, risk factors, and methods for treatment.

Otolaryngol –head neck surg – 2016 – Bross‐Soriano – Management of Ludwig s Angina with Small Neck Incisions 18 Years